If you come to New Zealand on holiday, you might need to apply for a visitor visa before you arrive. Work out what you need to do to apply.
- Step1For information about visas and COVID-19, visit the Immigration NZ website.COVID-19 — Immigration NEW ZEALAND VISA FOR VISITORS(external link)Find out if you need to applyIf you come to New Zealand on holiday, you’ll need to get either an NZeTA or a visitor visa — unless you’re an Australian citizen.Check if you need a visitor visa or an NZeTA
- Step2Choose how to applyApply for your visa online(external link)Visitor Visa Application (1017)(external link) — if you can’t apply onlineIf you don’t provide all the documents you’re asked for, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) returns your application.
- Step3Find out what it costs and how long it takesWhat you pay for your visa depends on the method you use to apply — applying online is usually cheaper. Most people pay by credit card (Mastercard, Visa or UnionPay). Find out what applies to you and how long it will take to get your visa.Fees, decision times and where to apply(external link)Note: You will not get a refund of your fees if your application is turned down.
- Step4Gather documents for your applicationYou need to prove that you:
- have a ticket out of NZ or money to buy oneare in good health and of good characterhave money to live on while you’re here or will be supported financially.
- Step5Prove your identityWith your application you need to:
- provide a colour photo — or 2 if you’re using the paper form to applyhave a passport that’s valid for at least 3 months after the date you plan to leave New Zealand.
- Step6Prove you’re of good character and in good healthYou must tell Immigration NEW ZEALAND ENTRY VISA about any offences:
- you’ve been charged withconvicted ofserved time in prison for.
- Step7Apply for your visaTo make an online application, you need to set up a New Zealand Government RealMe account.What is RealMe?Before you start your online application, have all your supporting documents ready to upload.Apply for a visa(external link)Visa factsheet: Visitor visa(external link)
- Step8Receive your visaIf your visa application is approved, you’ll get a label in your passport or a letter.How we process applications(external link)The date your visa expires is on your visa. Unless you get another visa you must leave New Zealand on or before this date.Varying the conditions of a visitor visa