It is important to note that a lot of preliminary work needs to be done before construction can begin, such as demolition, clearing sites, conducting site surveys, soil surveys, planning, and designing the building. This article will briefly discuss all of the preliminary estimating services works that need to be completed before you can begin construction.
In this case, dismantling or destroying a building after its serviceability life has passed is the best method for demolishing or destroying it using pre-planned and steady methods. Also, it is possible to initiate demolition before the structure can serve its purpose anymore if that is the case.
Demolition of structures may be necessary when they obstruct a building, if they are in the way, or if they are within the boundaries of the building. Demolishing consists of four steps:
- A survey is conducted before the demolition of a building
- It is necessary to remove hazardous materials
- The demolition process involves a number of steps
- Measures to ensure safety.
By removing any obstructions found at the site, such as vegetation, the site clearance process prepares it for excavation. The following steps follow the clearing of the site:
- Bushes or trees should be grubbing
- Removing topsoil reduces levels.
- Survey of the site and soil
It is a crucial preliminary estimating services step in designing and building a project since the superstructure depends on the substructure. In addition to determining the amount and type of resources necessary, the survey will also help determine the cost of construction.
A soil survey is important to ensure the stability and integrity of an unknown structure before construction begins.
Soil surveys are important for several reasons:
- Assessing the suitability of the site is essential.
- To determine which foundation design is suitable and economical.
- It determines whether any changes had occurred in soil conditions by analyzing them.
An effective planning process involves selecting a particular project’s method and order of work from the many possible options and sequences. Most of the information covered is regarding ‘What to do and ‘How to do it.’
It is important to plan the construction of a structure for the following reasons:
- By maximizing the use of available resources, planning can minimize costs.
- The use of planning reduces irrational approaches, duplicate work, and conflicts among departments.
- The planning process inspires innovation and creativity in construction managers.
- Planning enhances the competitiveness of an enterprise.
An extensive design details every component of a structure (blueprints) and how they fit together. However, research plays a major role in stabilizing, strengthening, and rigidizing the design of the building, along with determining the physical requirements.
For the construction, operating cost, and scheduling estimates to be reasonably accurate, the detailed design shall include the drawings and the report.
An estimate of a project’s cost is a process for forecasting the possible prices for accomplishing the project’s objectives following the specifications and schedules of various work items. So, using different tools and estimation techniques, one can conduct a cost estimation in different ways.
Detail cost estimation involves the following items:
- Various items of work and their direct costs
- The provision for contingencies should be made in the budget
- Charges for direct supervision of the work
- Water connection fees, sanitary arrangements, and electricity charges are among the miscellaneous expenses
- The construction of labor hutments and camps, field offices, etc.
Upon completion of these preliminary steps, construction will begin. Moreover, they will involve setting out, excavation, and other steps.
Buildings begin with preliminary works. What are they?
In Construction Estimating Services, preliminary works include demolition, clearing of the site, site surveying, soil surveying, planning, designing, and cost estimation before the actual work begins.
How Do You Prepare a Preliminary Estimate for a Construction Project?
To estimate a building’s preliminary cost, measuring the area and length of structural elements is necessary. Additionally, you will need to calculate the approximate cost of building a house, plaza, or multi-story building based on the total square footage of the plot. So, getting a preliminary budget estimate from contractors can help clients estimate the total costs. According to these factors, it is as follows:
- Building’s total square footage
- Measurements in linear form (walls, etc.)
- Room, floor, and other area measurements
After the preliminary estimate, a detailed estimate is provided, including a list of all the construction materials and specifications. This method will enable the total budget amount for the construction to be estimated accurately based on the costs of each item in the detailed BOQ, including the masonry estimate, the concrete estimate, etc. When the contractor fills in the unit cost on the quantity takeoff sheet, it can be easily priced, and most clients require them.
Materials takeoff sheets are available online in different formats that estimate construction costs at the beginning of the project. This estimate is usually prepared using templates and layouts from previously executed jobs. As the scope and requirements of the project change, the spreadsheets must modify accordingly. Building types, project areas, site location, importance, and construction method can also affect the unit cost, as well as the type of building itself.
The benefits of preliminary estimating services
Probably you are wondering why clients need the contractor to provide an initial estimate. There are several major reasons for this:
1. An estimate of the total construction cost obtained by using this method
2. Identify the major materials you will need in advance
3. Plans and executes projects more quickly
4. Provides budget and cost management for projects
5. Clients can choose the best contractor based on their needs
To compute the preliminary estimate, contractors usually give the client the unit cost for the project (for example, price per square foot). Total floor count times cost per floor equals multilevel buildings.
A successful project requires prompt completion of the preliminary estimating services works. As part of the preliminary planning, scheduling, budgeting, value engineering, and quality decisions related to the project, various preliminary tasks can affect the project’s overall cost and the quality of its construction.